AIDS.GOV | SERVICE LOCATOR | SEARCH

BLOG.AIDS.GOV

MENU

Congressional HIV/AIDS Caucus Launched

Listen:

Javascript and flash are required to play this audio file.

Download MP3

Congressional HIV/AIDS Caucus co-chairs (L-R) Rep. Jim McDermott, Rep. Trent Franks, and Rep. Barbara Lee announce caucus on Capitol Hill.

Five Members of Congress gathered outside the Capitol on Thursday morning, September 15, to announce the formation of the Congressional HIV/AIDS Caucus. Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA) introduced the bipartisan Caucus, noting that it had 59 members as of its debut and it would be welcoming additional Members in the weeks ahead.

Joining Congresswoman Lee at the event and as founding co-chairs of the Caucus were Congressman Jim McDermott (D-CA) and Congressman Trent Franks (R-AZ). Representative Franks observed that there are some issues on which Members of Congress “can find great common ground” and HIV/AIDS was one of them.  According to the co-chairs, the Caucus will work to maintain global leadership in the fight against HIV/AIDS in the United States and around the world, and to galvanize new leadership in preparation for the International AIDS Conference Exit Disclaimer in Washington D.C. in July, 2012. Also participating in the announcement were Representatives Donna Christensen (D-VI) and Congresswoman Madeleine Bordallo (D-Guam).

Noting that several members of the Caucus were early advocates for a U.S. National AIDS Strategy, Mr. Jeffrey Crowley, Director of the White House Office of AIDS Policy, remarked “I look forward to working with the Caucus to seize this moment in time so we can say we made a difference in the epidemic.”

Also participating in the event and praising the formation of the caucus were Mr. Michel Sidibé, Executive Director of UNAIDS Exit Disclaimer; Ambassador Eric Goosby, U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator; Mr. Ronald Johnson of AIDS United Exit Disclaimer; Mr. Michael Gerson, former speechwriter for President George W. Bush and current advisor to the ONE Campaign Exit Disclaimer; and Mr. Jim Hill of World Vision Exit Disclaimer.

About AIDS.gov

Comments

1. John humphries says:

I would like to receive more information on how I can get involved with this process

2. Charles H. Joiner Jr says:

Please!
    Ryan white re-autherization
    Needs support

3. DONA MARSHALL says:

I would like more information I would like to become involved with issues of Hetrosexual Women and HIV/AIDS

4. I would like to get information from you because am trying to open up an CBO so plz help me and i help the penitents of HIV/AIDS.location;
    nansana Wakiso Uganda.

5. JC Oliver says:

Where can the list of the 59 members be found? I think it should be published so we can actively request other officials to join the caucus.

In addition, I hope the caucus is able to work beyond outside issues that tend to be political hot buttons, and be committed to the HIV/AIDS common ground without alienating those with differing political and religious beliefs but whose hearts and minds still desire to help fight this horrible disease.

6. duane wood says:

Last year there were 43,000 new hiv/aids cases diagnosed. 17,000 deaths. The most commonly diagnosed cancer,340,000 new cases and 32,000 deaths, affects only MEN. Prostate cancer. As horrible as it is, AIDS is basically a “lifestyle” disease. I do not have sex with men, sleep around or use drugs intraveinously. The odds of me getting aids, are remote, at best. I do have prostate cancer. I wonder if you people intend to form a Congressional Prostate Cancer Caucus. Just wondering.

7. Jimmy Hall says:

I Think More Effort Should Be Done To Change The Old Ways Of Handling HIV/AIDS In Washington Dc. Cause They Do Not Work.Also The Surrounding Areas Should Be Put On Alert As To Get Extra Help So They Can Prevent Becoming The Next High Rate Of HIV/AIDS Too!

8. Wilma Lee says:

Who are the 59 members of the new HIV/AIDS Caucus? Is the state of Michigan represented on the Caucus? How can I get involed?