Editor’s Note: The following is a guest blog authored by Tina Hoff, Senior Vice President, Director of the Health Communication and Media Partnerships Program, Jennifer Kates, Ph.D., Vice President and Director of Global Health & HIV Policy, and Talea Miller, Program Officer, Health Communication and Media Partnerships Program from the Kaiser Family Foundation .
People with HIV could be among those who make the greatest gains in coverage from Obamacare, officially known as the Affordable Care Act, but finding insurance resources tailored to the needs of people living with HIV can be challenging.
In response to this need, the Kaiser Family Foundation with funding from Gilead Sciences has produced “Obamacare & You,” a new Greater Than AIDS consumer web portal to help PLWHA learn about new coverage options and how the law could affect their care and treatment. Greater Than AIDS is a leading national public information initiative developed by the Kaiser Family Foundation together with the Black AIDS Institute and supported by a broad cross section of public and private sector partners to increase knowledge, reduce stigma and promote actions to stem the spread of HIV in the U.S.
Presented by Greater Than AIDS, “Obamacare and You” is a one-of-a-kind tool that includes specially-tailored resources geared toward people living with HIV, including:
- A “Find Your Story” feature that explains how someone with HIV may be affected by the ACA based on their current insurance situation
- A Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section that provides answers to more than fifty questions about the ACA as it affects people living with HIV, such as “Can I be denied health insurance because I have HIV?” and “If I receive services from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program or AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), do I still need insurance?”
- State-specific information for all 50 states and the District of Columbia on health insurance marketplaces (including a list of available plans and information about financial assistance), Medicaid coverage options, Ryan White HIV/AIDS and AIDS Drug Assistance Programs, and other relevant HIV resources
- A guide to the essential health benefits provided under the ACA with detail about relevance to people with HIV
- A downloadable worksheet to help people applying for coverage gather relevant information necessary to enroll and make plan choices that best suit their HIV care needs
- A community toolkit including printer-friendly versions of all of the resources on the site, as well as suggested social media language and banners for use on ASO sites in promoting the resources.
The Obamacare & You consumer web portal is part of the Foundation’s ongoing effort to help consumers understand the ACA and their choices under the law. The content is the sole product and responsibility of the Kaiser Family Foundation. Gilead Sciences, Inc. provided funding for its development. More of the Foundation’s consumer resources on the ACA can be found on www.kff.org/aca-consumer-
The Foundation also produces fact sheets and analyses on the topic of HIV/AIDS, including materials on how the ACA affects people living with HIV. This information is available at www.kff.org/hivaids.
Greater Than AIDS appreciates the efforts by so many in the HIV/AIDS community to promote this portal to those who can benefit most. We also invite any feedback on the site from AIDS.gov readers. Please comment below.