AIDS.gov continually monitors digital research and tools that can improve the way we share health information. Today we present highlights from the Pew Mobile Messaging and Social Media 2015 Report about how different demographics are using social media platforms.We hope this will help inform your communications planning efforts and help you engage with your audiences more effectively.
- 85% of U.S. adults are internet users and 67% are smartphone users.
- Over the past 4 years, almost all of the major social media platforms Pew tracks have had significant increases in the proportion of U.S. adults who use them.
- Facebook remains the most popular social media site among internet users, but it was the only platform that has not seen significant growth since 2012.
Demographics of social media users:
- Total % of users: 72% of adult internet users or 62% of entire adult population.
- Demographic: Ages 18-29: 82%, Ages 30-49: 79%, Ages 50-64: 64%, Ages 65+: 48%
- Total % of users: 31% of adult internet users or 26% of entire adult population.
- Demographic:Women continue to dominate Pinterest – 44% of online women use the site, compared with 16% of online men.
- Total % of users: 28% of adult internet users or 24% of entire adult population.
- Demographic: Continues to be popular with: young adults, African Americans, and Hispanics: 55% of online adults ages 18-29 use Instagram, as do 47% of African Americans and 38% of Hispanics.
- Total % of users: 25% of adult internet users or 22% of entire adult population.
- Demographic: Especially popular among working-age adults, as well as with college graduates and those with relatively high household incomes.
Note: LinkedIn is the only major platform for which usage rates are higher among 30-to 49-year-olds than among those aged 18-29.
- Total % of users: 23% of all internet users or 20% of entire adult population.
- Demographic: More popular among younger adults — 30% of online adults under 50 use Twitter, compared with 11% of online adults ages 50 and older.
Want to learn how to integrate social media outreach into your overall communications planning, or, how to use any of these social media platforms? Sign up for Virtual Office Hours: Free, one-on-one, social media training sessions with an AIDS.gov social media expert. We’re here every Tuesday and Thursday from 2:00–4:00 p.m. ET.