If you (or anyone in your household) had a Marketplace health plan for 2015, keep an eye out for Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement in the mail. It should arrive through the U.S. mail by mid-February, and it’ll also appear online in your Marketplace account.
You’ll need it to file your 2015 federal income tax return and figure out your final 2015 premium tax credit, if you qualify for one.
IMPORTANT: Don’t file your taxes until you have an accurate 1095-A.
How to use your 1095-A
- Read the instructions on the back carefully, and make sure everything is accurate. If it’s not, contact the Marketplace Call Center.
- Make sure the information about the “second lowest cost Silver Plan” (SLCSP) is complete. If zeroes show on Part III, column B of the form, you can look up the correct amounts.
- Once everything is correct, you’ll use Form 1095-A to figure out your final premium tax credit and reconcile any part of this that you used in advance to lower your premiums. That means you’ll compare the premium tax credit you used in 2015 with the tax credit you actually qualify for based on your final income.
- Learn more about Form 1095-A, including how to find it online.
- See a step-by-step guide to reconciling your premium tax credit on Form 8962.